Re: log_timestamp and SIGHUP?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: PostgreSQL general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log_timestamp and SIGHUP?
Date: 2003-03-20 15:26:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:47:23PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It sure looks like it should, modulo the fact that backends won't
>> re-read postgresql.conf until they next reach the
>> wait-for-client-command outer loop.

> Hmm. The outer loop should surely happen after a COMMIT/ROLLBACK,
> right?

Yeah. [tries it] It works for me ...

I have another theory: if you change
#log_timestamp = false
log_timestamp = true
you cannot reverse that by returning the line to its original state:
the original state is a comment and won't cause the postmaster to change
its variable. You must say
log_timestamp = false
if you want to get the value changed back via SIGHUP.

(Sorry if that seems insulting to your intelligence ... but I've been
bit by it at least once myself ...)