Re: migrating MSAccess to pgsql7.0 on RH 6.2 through odbc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Poul L(dot) Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk>
Cc: Poul Kristensen <bcc5226(at)vip(dot)cybercity(dot)dk>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: migrating MSAccess to pgsql7.0 on RH 6.2 through odbc
Date: 2000-11-08 22:38:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Poul L. Christiansen" <poulc(at)cs(dot)auc(dot)dk> writes:
>> I have succesfully migrated 28 tables in MSaccess to Pgsql 7.0 on
>> RH6.2 through ODBC.
>>
>> I have to migrate 2 more tables, but get the message "Query string is
>> to long".

> But maybe the error comes if you try to insert a record that is larger
> than 8kb, which is the upper limit in 7.0.

There is no such error message in the 7.0 backend. I think the ODBC
driver still believes that there is an 8K limit on query strings, and
it is helpfully preventing you from issuing the query :-(. There isn't
anyone actively maintaining the ODBC driver right now, AFAIK, so I don't
know when that silliness will be fixed.