Re: Open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2004-08-03 15:18:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> Second, Jan promised at OSCON to fix up server-side prepare so it actually
> works even if you do not have the exact types to pass in. I presume you
> will then be able to do something like this:
> PREPARE mystatement AS SELECT * FROM pg_class WHERE relanem = $1
> which will make driver writers very, very happy.

Why would a driver writer care? He can use the Prepare protocol
message, which already can do the above --- and more to the point,
there's already a way for him to *find out* what types were resolved.
There is no way for the SQL-level PREPARE command to provide info
about how types were resolved, so I'm not in favor of hacking the
SQL command this way.