Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "'stuart(at)comodo(dot)net'" <stuart(at)comodo(dot)net>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit
Date: 1999-10-26 16:16:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> The 8kB limit you are refering to is probably the tuple-length limit. This
> can be altered to a maximum of 64kB (I think, might only be 32kB),

32k; otherwise Michael's comments are accurate.

>>> been discussed here before =). Next question is whats the
>>> max number of large
>>> objects you can store? I think its about 4 billion , am i wrong?

Each LO results in the creation of two files in your database directory,
which means performance will get pretty horrible when you get past a
few thousand LOs (at least on most flavors of Unix, which are not
optimized for huge directories).

There has been discussion of fixing this, eg by making a subdirectory
tree for LOs, but I'd rather see us put our effort into eliminating
the tuple length limit.