Re: libpq / SQL3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq / SQL3
Date: 2000-07-08 02:56:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Then it seems we need to add a column to pg_type to keep track the
> "sqltypeid" as an int2. It would be annoying but doable. The alternative
> for the moment would be to hard-code the translation at the client side,
> i.e., have SQLDescribeCol translate the oid it received to some standard
> number, but that would have obvious problems with user-defined types.

But there are no standard numbers for user-defined types, now are there?
Might as well use the type OID for them.

Adding another column to pg_type inside the backend is not too hard,
but to transmit that data to the frontend in every query would mean
an incompatible protocol change, which is a much greater amount of
pain. I doubt it's worth it. Putting the translation table into
SQLDescribeCol is no worse than having the ODBC driver do a similar
translation, which no one has complained about in my recollection.