Re: [HACKERS] new heap manager mmalloc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] new heap manager mmalloc
Date: 1999-01-28 15:50:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> Two things against it...
> First, its a Linux-ism...he's got it ported to Win and Linux, that's it...

If it depends on mmap(), porting may not be trivial, either.

Still, if it's a drop-in replacement for malloc, I see no reason that
a particular installation couldn't use it with Postgres --- and we could
even recommend that, if it's a big win. The license conflict would
preclude actually including it with Postgres, but pointing to it is
no problem.

Anyone want to try it and see if it provides a noticeable speed
improvement?