Re: MultiXacts & WAL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, paolo romano <paolo(dot)romano(at)yahoo(dot)it>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: MultiXacts & WAL
Date: 2006-06-17 20:37:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Please dump some of the WAL segments with xlogdump so we can get a
>> feeling for what's in there.

> OK, will do on Monday's test run. Is it possible for me to run this at the
> end of the test run, or do I need to freeze it in the middle to get useful
> data?

I'd just copy off a random sample of WAL segment files while the run is
proceeding. You don't need very many, half a dozen at most.

> Also, we're toying with the idea of testing full_page_writes=off for Solaris.
> The Solaris engineers claim that it should be safe on Sol10 + Sun hardware.
> I'm not entirely sure that's true; is there a destruction test of the bug
> that caused us to remove that option?

The bug that made us turn it off in the 8.1 branch had nothing to do
with hardware reliability or the lack thereof. As for testing, will
they let you yank the power cord?