Re: User defined data type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Don Y <pgsql(at)DakotaCom(dot)Net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User defined data type
Date: 2006-03-30 20:21:00
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:51:41AM -0700, Don Y wrote:
>> - Can *_in() be ever invoked with a NULL argument? Or, can I
>> safely assume that the pointer I am passed is valid?

> You can't get a NULL there. Yes, the pointer is valid cstring.

To be sure about that, make sure you mark the function STRICT
when you define it. Otherwise you can get burnt by direct user
invocation
select int4in(null::cstring);
not to mention that we were recently considering letting non-strict
input functions get invoked on nulls in the normal course of events.