Re: cost of CREATE VIEW ... AS SELECT DISTINCT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mailreg(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cost of CREATE VIEW ... AS SELECT DISTINCT
Date: 2005-03-29 15:54:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

T E Schmitz <mailreg(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de> writes:
> As far as I can see (via EXPLAIN), both DISTINCT and GROUP BY will lead
> to a sequentail scan. Is that correct?

I'm not sure why you expect something different. The query requires
visiting every row of the table in any case --- else it might miss
values that occur only once --- therefore a seqscan is most efficient.

The planner will consider plans that involve an indexscan, but only
as a substitute for doing an explicit sort before a uniq-style grouping
step. Generally the explicit sort will win that comparison. And a
hash grouping step probably dominates them both.