Re: Sun Studio on Linux spinlock patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Julius Stroffek <Julius(dot)Stroffek(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun Studio on Linux spinlock patch
Date: 2008-03-05 13:56:28
Lists: pgsql-patches

Julius Stroffek <Julius(dot)Stroffek(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> I have made PostgreSQL to compile on linux using sun studio with
> spinlock support. The patch is attached. Here is the explanation of
> changes I made:

This patch seems broken in a number of ways. Why are you removing
-DLINUX_PROFILE, for example? Are you sure you don't need -D_GNU_SOURCE?
And why add -DSUNOS4_CC, which is a Solaris-specific define (not that
we seem to be using it anywhere anymore)? Do we really have to have a
configure-time probe to detect this particular compiler?

But I guess the *real* question is why anyone would care ... what
benefit is there to using Sun's compiler on Linux?