Re: Re[2]: How to Alter tables with ARRAY? Help PLease

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: dbmanager <dbmanager(at)osb368(dot)nnov(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: How to Alter tables with ARRAY? Help PLease
Date: 2001-06-06 05:46:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Igor <dbmanager(at)osb368(dot)nnov(dot)ru> writes:
> Well, i have a field OSTV which has dimention [1:9][1:6]
> when i'm trying:
> "update mytable set ostv [10][3]=333.00"

You can't extend an array unless you specify values for all the new
entries required to fill a rectangular array value (which in practice
means only one-dimensional arrays can be extended this way).

I'd like to see the array code generalized to allow you to do that,
inserting NULLs for the missing entries. But it'd take some work,
and so far no one's stepped up to the plate to do the work. Would
you like to volunteer?