Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date: 2002-05-25 00:09:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> The fundamental problem (which of course can have a fundamental solution
> ;) is that a time zone database built with a 32-bit time_t will have
> time zone info through 2038 only (it is a binary file with 32-bit time
> fields -- almost certainly anyway).

I'm not sure that the time zone database tables store time_t's at all.
They certainly could be coded not to use 'em; but I do not know exactly
how various vendors have chosen to represent the data.

A random extract from the tzdata2002c files looks like:

Zone America/Chicago -5:50:36 - LMT 1883 Nov 18 12:00
-6:00 US C%sT 1920
-6:00 Chicago C%sT 1936 Mar 1 2:00
-5:00 - EST 1936 Nov 15 2:00
-6:00 Chicago C%sT 1942
-6:00 US C%sT 1946
-6:00 Chicago C%sT 1967
-6:00 US C%sT

which might well be represented with separate y/m/d/h/m fields...
certainly we'd choose some such thing if we have to implement it
ourselves.