Re: Multiple Crashs on OSX Intel

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabrice Vincent <f(dot)vincent(at)allibert-trekking(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Marc Simonin <m(dot)simonin(at)allibert-trekking(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multiple Crashs on OSX Intel
Date: 2007-02-02 18:19:47
Lists: pgsql-ports

Fabrice Vincent <f(dot)vincent(at)allibert-trekking(dot)com> writes:
> Tom, it is very unlikely that the issue is located with the hardware as we
> tested on 2 brand new hardware and both exibit exactly the same symptoms
> despite they are differents models...

[ shrug... ] It's not impossible that you've got two lemons ... stranger
things have happened. One pretty obvious opportunity for a common-mode
failure is if you loaded them up with RAM chips from the same batch.

The symptoms shown in your crashreporter logs don't look anything like
a software problem to me: they're not consistent, and a lot of the
crashes are in code that is exercised exactly the same way on every
process start. Also, we're not seeing reports of similar problems from
anyone else running PG on Intel Mac; which is definitely a nonempty
population --- there's one in the buildfarm for instance, and it's
showing zero failures in the back branches:
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=jackal&br=REL8_1_STABLE

So I'm going to stick to my bet that it's a hardware problem.