Re: Obtaining information on the schema of tables which I do not own

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Daniel Ariel <pgsqlinterfaces(at)netzach(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Obtaining information on the schema of tables which I do not own
Date: 2005-12-14 18:08:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to> writes:
> Daniel Ariel <pgsqlinterfaces(at)netzach(dot)co(dot)il> wrote:
>> I am currently developing an application which needs to know information
>> about table schema in order to display them correctly (specificly
>> foreign keys, default values and not null characteristics).

> Probably you should start by seeing if the information schema provides what
> you need:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/information-schema.html

I think what he was complaining about was that information_schema
restricts access to many things unless you are the table owner.
This is per SQL99, but SQL2003 seems to have relaxed the rules to
allow you to see info about tables you can access (ie, have nonzero
rights for). Updating the information_schema to follow the SQL2003
rules is on the to-do list, but I dunno if anyone is actively working
on it. (Peter?)