Re: patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2012-01-31 01:22:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But the immediate problem is that pg_dump.c is heavily reliant on
> global variables, which isn't going to fly if we want this code to use
> threads on Windows (or anywhere else). It's also bad style. So I
> suggest that we refactor pg_dump.c to get rid of g_conn and g_fout.

I've looked at that a bit in the past and decided that the notational
overhead would be too much. OTOH, if we're going to be forced into it
in order to support parallel pg_dump, we might as well do it first in a
separate patch.

> ... But it
> seems possible that we might someday want to dump from one database
> and restore into another database at the same time, so maybe we ought
> to play it safe and use different variables for those things. So I'm
> inclined to think we could just add a "PGconn *remote_connection"
> argument to the Archive structure (to go with all of the similarly
> named "remote" fields, all of which describe the DB to be dumped) and
> then that would be available everywhere that the Archive itself is.

I always thought that the "remote" terminology was singularly unhelpful.
It implies there's a "local" connection floating around somewhere, which
of course there is not, and it does nothing to remind you of whether the
connection leads to a database being dumped or a database being restored
into. If we are going to have two fields, could we name them something
less opaque, perhaps "src_connection" and "dest_connection"?