Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.3 time manipulation bug
Date: 2002-05-24 23:41:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> The last phase could be extending the API to allow multiple simultaneous
> time zones, detection of bad time zones, etc etc. This would involve API
> changes or extensions, and breaks compatibility with system-supplied
> infrastructure.

One thing that wasn't clear to me, but could use investigation: if so
many systems are using the same underlying timezone database info, maybe
there is some commonality at a level below the ISO mktime/tzset/etc API.
If we could make use of the system-provided TZ database at a lower level
while still using our own APIs not tied to time_t, it'd answer the issue
of compatibility with the surrounding system. (Which is a real issue,
I agree --- we should be able to accept the system's standard TZ setting
if possible.)