Re: Partial Indices vs. mixing columns and functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partial Indices vs. mixing columns and functions
Date: 2001-07-17 01:45:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> What kind of expression is allowed as the predicate now ?

Anything that doesn't involve an aggregate or a subselect.

(But what the planner can recognize as matching a query's
WHERE clause is currently much more restricted, just ANDs
and ORs of simple VAR OP CONST clauses. This could be
improved in the future.)

> Both the functions used in functional indexes and the
> predicates used in partial indexes must be deterministic.
> Are users responsible for it ?

Yes. I don't see how the system could enforce that, without
prohibiting lots of useful cases.