Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path
Date: 2011-02-07 18:23:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> ... So where I think we're going to end up
> is adding a clause along the line of "USING list-of-extension-names"
> to CREATE EXTENSION, storing those dependencies explicitly, and having
> the CREATE EXTENSION code set search_path to the target schema followed
> by the target schema(s) of the USING extensions.

On reflection, the set of extensions that an extension depends on is
obviously a property of the extension, which means it ought to be
specified in the extension's control file, not in the CREATE EXTENSION
command. So now I'm thinking something like

requires = 'foo, bar, baz'

in the file. We could even imagine autoloading such dependencies if
they're not already installed, but that's a frammish for later. (One
objection to autoloading is it's not clear which schema to drop the
other extensions into.)