Re: PostgreSQL client has problems when libbind is installed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Yves R(dot) Crevecoeur" <ycrevecoeur(at)nyc(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: "Palle Girgensohn" <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Tom Alsberg" <alsbergt(at)cs(dot)huji(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL client has problems when libbind is installed
Date: 2003-06-13 01:00:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

"Yves R. Crevecoeur" <ycrevecoeur(at)nyc(dot)rr(dot)com> writes:
> Don't break BeOS support.
> A new version of BeOS will be released very soon.

Well, the BeOS port is already broken, and has been for awhile,
because no one's bothered to step up and maintain it. Are you
volunteering? It needs work on semaphore support, at least.

Even on BeOS, is pulling in libbind really sensible? I get the
impression that we're doing it just to get a couple of trivial
functions like inet_ntoa. Those could be handled by supplying
replacement implementations, perhaps.

I'm not unwilling to put an if-test into configure so that
libbind is only included on BeOS, but I wonder whether that's
the best approach.