Re: serializable read only deferrable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: serializable read only deferrable
Date: 2010-12-08 22:09:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> except that I'm not sure whether I addressed the assign_XactIsoLevel
> issue you mentioned, since you mentioned a debug message and I only
> see things that look like errors to me. If I did miss something,
> I'll be happy to take another look if you can point me to the right
> place.

GUC_complaint_elevel() can return DEBUGn, and in fact will do so in
the PGC_S_OVERRIDE case. I'm thinking that the code ought to look
more like

/* source == PGC_S_OVERRIDE means do it anyway, eg at xact abort */
if (source != PGC_S_OVERRIDE)
{
check and report all the complaint-worthy cases;
}

The original coding was probably sane for initial development, but
now it just results in useless debug-log traffic for predictable
perfectly valid cases.