Re: How to improve insert speed with index on text column

From: "Tomas Vondra" <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: "Saurabh" <saurabh(dot)b85(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to improve insert speed with index on text column
Date: 2012-01-31 11:21:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 31 Leden 2012, 10:29, Saurabh wrote:
> I changed the configuration in postgresql.conf. Following are the
> changed parameters:
>
> shared_buffers = 1GB
> maintenance_work_mem = 50MB
> checkpoint_segments = 64
> wal_buffers = 5MB
> autovacuum = off
>
> Insert the records in the database and got a very good performance it
> is increased by 6 times.
>
> Can you please tell me the purpose of shared_buffer and
> maintenance_work_mem parameter?

Shared buffers is the cache maintained by PostgreSQL. All all the data
that you read/write need to go through shared buffers.

Maintenance_work_mem specifies how much memory can "maintenance tasks"
(e.g. autovacuum, reindex, etc.) use. This is similar to work_mem for
common queries (sorting, grouping, ...).

Tomas