AW: [HACKERS] Another TEMP table trick

From: Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5 <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: AW: [HACKERS] Another TEMP table trick
Date: 1999-01-29 08:37:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> test=> create table test (x int);
>> CREATE
>> test=> insert into test values (1);
>> INSERT
>> test=> create temp table test (x int); <--
>> CREATE <--
>> test=> insert into test values (2);
>> INSERT 19787 1
>> test=> select * from test;
>> -
>> 2
>> (1 row)
>>
>> test=> drop table test;
>> DROP
>> test=> select * from test;
>> -
>> 1
>> (1 row)
>>
>> test=> drop table test;
>> DROP

Do you really think that this should be allowed ? I think table names
including
temp tables should (at least in combination with the owner) be unique. I
think your
example above demonstrates how confusing the application code can get.

I think it is good, that temp tables are not really inserted into system
tables,
since this would be substantial overhead.
There could be a problem with GUI tools that rely on these rows
to format their output (like pgaccess or ODBC --> M$ Access) though.

Andreas