Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BYTEA / DBD::Pg change in 9.0 beta
Date: 2010-05-19 17:31:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I remember going through this
>> with E'' quoting. It wasn't fun.

> Right. So do we know what the policy is? As long as DBD::Pg is
> released before pg 9.0 we'd be fine, *provided* that they
> (redhat/novell/debian/whatever) actually pull in the latest version at
> that point...

Well, as far as Red Hat goes, I'll make a point of not shipping 9.0
before DBD::Pg is updated. I'm not sure how tense we need to be about
this, though, considering that users can easily turn off the option
if they need to run clients with old drivers.

BTW, standard_conforming_strings is really a different case because of
the SQL-injection security hazards with non-scs-aware client code.
I don't see any comparable risk for bytea format.