Re: New tzdata available

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Trevor Talbot <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New tzdata available
Date: 2007-11-09 07:56:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Plan B would be to take out contracts on all the banana-republic
>> politicians who think that changing DST laws with a month's notice
>> is a pleasant pastime. I fear we lack the resources for that,
>> unfortunately.

> You're referring to countries like the United States and New Zealand ;-)

Be fair --- the USA did give us a couple years' notice. Though I'm
still prepared to vote against any congresscritter who stands up and
says that was a good idea. (I'm still driving a car whose GPS does not
know about the change, and if any political animal happens to be reading
this: it is not a good idea to tick off your constituents in the week
before November elections.)

> On a more serious note, we *could* make a simple ZIP file available with
> files to drop in the timezone directory for such urgent updates, since
> the majority of users don't need them.

Sure, it's doable if anyone cares that much. But I think we should
spend more energy on scheming how not to be involved.