Re: Recovery Test Framework

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date: 2009-01-12 17:19:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> I would certainly not like to see 8.4 slip.

> I would. PostgreSQL is not a commercial application which has to be
> released on schedule to satisfy shareholders - it's an Open Source
> project that aims to provide it's users with useful features. We have
> two extremely useful features here (hot standby and sync replication)
> which together will make this a killer release for many people

Yeah, but there are already a number of things in 8.4 that are killer
features for various applications --- window functions and WITH to take
two recently-committed examples. Should we sit on those for however
long it will take to make replication release-worthy?

In general, we have always regretted it in the past when we chose to
slip a release waiting for a specific feature...