Re: Default Stats Revisited

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Default Stats Revisited
Date: 2004-03-11 19:07:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, I'm not 100% opposed to a multiplier. I'd like to take a poll of DBAs
> to find out which they would find more accessable. But since most people
> seem to be ignoring this thread, I'm not sure we'll get much response ...

Maybe you should ask on -admin or -general. Personally I thought there
wasn't anything to say until someone did some experiments to show
whether an indexed-column differential is really worthwhile and what a
plausible default value would be. The idea sounds good in the abstract,
but will it really help or just be another useless setting?