Re: Is this correct behavior for ON DELETE rule?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rick Schumeyer" <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org>
Cc: "'PgSql General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is this correct behavior for ON DELETE rule?
Date: 2005-02-26 15:55:14
Lists: pgsql-general

"Rick Schumeyer" <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org> writes:
> Would some combination of triggers work instead?

Nope, you can't put triggers on a view, sorry. In theory a BEFORE
INSERT trigger would be a workable alternative to an ON INSERT rule
for redirecting insertions. (I think we disallow it at the moment
though.) But UPDATE and DELETE triggers can't work because the view
doesn't actually contain any physical tuples and so there is nothing
for the triggers to fire on.