Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Rolf Grossmann <grossman(at)securitas(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0
Date: 2000-02-24 15:56:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Yes, but are there cases where we would want psqlrc values set? Should
> we specifically set all the variables ourselves on startup, just
> over-riding what is in psqlrc?

No. In the first place, we've already got a dozen or two SET variables
(and the list keeps changing); do you really want to reset all of those
in each regress test? In the second place, a psqlrc script could screw
things up in more creative ways than just issuing SET commands. IIRC,
Rolf's original example was a psqlrc that issued a BEGIN to leave the
system in an open-transaction state. In the third place, the psql echo
output from any commands issued by psqlrc would itself be enough to
cause bogus "failures" of all the tests.

One advantage of using a switch is that if someone *did* want to
experiment with regress test behavior with non-default settings,
he could set up a psqlrc file and then remove that switch from
the regression driver script. Of course he'd have to ignore a
lot of bogus differences...