Re: Problems with new data location

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Karen Ellrick" <k-ellrick(at)sctech(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with new data location
Date: 2001-05-30 14:15:13
Lists: pgsql-general

"Karen Ellrick" <k-ellrick(at)sctech(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Yup, the key is that both those methods copy (rather than move) the
> directory. If you copy, you can use restart (I assume - I didn't try it).

Just for the benefit of the archives: copying the directory tree while
the postmaster is live is exactly what I *don't* recommend you do.
There's too much risk of copying an inconsistent fileset if any
backends, checkpoint processes, etc happen to be making changes while
you do the copy. You might get away with it ... or you might not.

You can't 'mv' the $PGDATA directory while it's live either, but for
a different set of reasons (the backends use absolute pathnames to
access database files).