Re: alter table drop column status

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter table drop column status
Date: 2002-02-12 15:14:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu> writes:
> Browsing the archives, I found the latest comment about dropping columns
> about summer 2000 closing with Hiroshi's unapplied (?) hack. What is the
> current status of the implementation?

It was applied, and it's in there with #ifdef _DROP_COLUMN_HACK__,
but I believe Hiroshi has given up on that approach as unworkable.

The #ifdef'd code is still there (in most places anyway) because no
one has bothered to rip it out. But I doubt it would work very well
if enabled --- the code mods in the last year or so have not taken
any notice of _DROP_COLUMN_HACK__.