Re: Tuning PostgreSQL to use more RAM...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tuning PostgreSQL to use more RAM...
Date: 2000-08-19 03:17:28
Lists: pgsql-general

"Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com> writes:
> While I don't mind disk cache, I feel that we could get better
> performance by letting postgres use another hundred megs or so, especially
> since our entire /usr/local/pgsql/base directory has only 134 megs of data.
> We're currently starting the postmaster with "-B 2048".

You might try increasing the default -S setting as well.

I am not convinced that increasing -B to huge values will be a net win.
At some point you will start losing performance due to the sequential
scans of the buffer cache that are done at transaction commit (and other
places IIRC). I haven't done any benchmarking of different settings,
however, so I have no idea what the optimal level might be.