Re: initdb fails to allocate shared memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb fails to allocate shared memory
Date: 2010-08-25 16:28:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"A.M." <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com> writes:
> Then it seems that the error reporting could be improved to not mention "shared_buffers" and "max_connections" neither of which I can touch during initdb.

The error has to be phrased to cover the case where you hit it after
initdb. It would be quite unhelpful to *not* mention those settings.

However, it's odd that you got this variant of the HINT and not the one
that suggests increasing SHMMAX. Looking at the code, that means that
shmget returned ENOMEM, not EINVAL, which surprises me. What did you
have your kernel settings at? Could we see the output of
sysctl -a | grep sysv