Re: Using dblink to connect as non-superuser

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: robert(at)webtent(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using dblink to connect as non-superuser
Date: 2008-11-12 21:32:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Fitzpatrick <lists(at)webtent(dot)net> writes:
> I try to use dblink_connect while logged into the database as the
> superuser and it returns OK, but if I disconnect and use the same
> command as follows, it give and error, password is required. Even if I
> try to use the superuser login in the connect string below while
> connected as a non-superuser, I get the error...

This probably means that the remote database is not in fact prompting
for a password on this connection. For security reasons dblink wants
non-superuser callers to supply a password that actually gets used
--- otherwise they are effectively able to masquerade as the local
superuser to the remote database.