encoding shp2pgsql/ client encoding

From: Melanie Hofmann <helpmisterx(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: encoding shp2pgsql/ client encoding
Date: 2009-11-26 13:58:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I'm a very big problem. I want to load shapefiles in a postgresql with
shp2pgsql and psql. So i create the statement on a windows DOS console. I
get below error FEHLER: ungültige Byte-Sequenz für Kodierung UTF8 0xd627.

My Client_encoding is

template_postgis=# SHOW CLIENT_ENCODING;
client_encoding
UTF8
(1 row)

and my database encoding is also UTF8, only my shapefile is not in UTF8.

I make a few trails to change the client encoding, but nothing realy works.

What can I do?
Can anybody help me?

Thanks.

Regards MisterX