Re: Add PG version number to NLS files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add PG version number to NLS files
Date: 2005-06-25 14:27:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2005 04:24 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
>> We absolutely want to support multiple installed versions of PostgreSQL.

> But we don't support installing multiple versions on top of each other, which
> is the only scenario where this patch would be useful.

I agree with Peter. AFAICS, the binaries go into $prefix/bin and the
NLS files go into $prefix/share/locale, so there is no more nor less
conflict among different versions' NLS files than their executables.
In both cases the only supported way to have multiple installations
at once is to use different install prefixes. So why complicate matters
like this?