Re: initdb profiles

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb profiles
Date: 2005-09-08 01:37:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I accept the "run from init.d" argument. So then, is there a case for
> increasing the limits that initdb works with, to reflect the steep rise
> we have seen in typically available memory at the low end?

I can't see any particular harm in having initdb try somewhat-larger
values ... but how far does that really go towards fixing the issues?

Personally, the default value I currently see as far too tight is
max_fsm_pages. I'd rather see initdb trying to push that up if it's
able to establish shared_buffers and max_connections at their current
maxima.

> ... it would be nice to try to allow
> one connection per standard allowed apache client (default is 256
> non-threaded and 400 threaded, I think).

That's a mostly independent consideration, but it seems fair enough.
Can we check the exact values rather than relying on "I think"?