Re: PostgreSQL 7.1 beta3 on Windows 2k

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "JJAR" <jjarcore(at)eresmas(dot)com>
Cc: "Jason Tishler" <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.1 beta3 on Windows 2k
Date: 2001-02-06 01:14:12
Lists: pgsql-ports
"JJAR" <jjarcore(at)eresmas(dot)com> writes:
> [ parallel regression tests hang up in second parallel group ]
> I come to this point and nothing happens. The CPU doesn't work at all ( only
> 5% CPU power consumption ) and the hard disk is quiet so the process is
> dead.

Hmm.  You might be looking at a shell bug.  There are shells out there
that lose track of how many children they have when asked to spawn more
than a dozen or so parallel children.  For example, I see extremely
similar behavior when I try to run 'make check' using the standard
/bin/sh shell on HPUX 10.20: it locks up partway through the second set
of parallel tests.  I have to select SHELL=/bin/ksh instead to get
the tests to complete.  I'm not sure it's quite the same issue, because
HPUX's sh goes to 100% CPU usage after getting confused in this way,
but it still seems like a likely explanation.

Can you run the non-parallel test (make installcheck) successfully?
Also, try splitting the parallel groups in the parallel_schedule file
into smaller numbers of tests.