Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Date: 2002-07-06 14:19:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I am worried about that too. But if we stick a C-level API, how can we
> define the argument data type suitable for C string? I don't see such
> data types. Maybe you are suggesting that we should not use CREATE
> FUNCTION?

Well, you'd have to use the same cheat that's used for selectivity
estimation functions, triggers, I/O functions and everything else that
deals in internal datatypes: declare the function as taking and
returning OPAQUE. This is moderately annoying but I don't think
there's anything really wrong with it in practice.