Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Smith <dave(at)candata(dot)com>
Cc: Adam Lang <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job
Date: 2000-10-10 22:10:25
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Dave Smith <dave(at)candata(dot)com> writes:
> Well to calm any fears of Great Bridge taking over what exactly are the
> terms of employment? Are the developers merely continuing on with what
> they were working on and now getting paid for it, or is Great Bridge
> saying here are the projects we want done so do it.

FWIW, I've been employed by Great Bridge since 1 August, and so far
they haven't said word one about what I should be working on; "do what
you think is needed" are the sum total of my orders.

This happy state of affairs may not last forever --- in particular,
once GB has actual customers I will become one of their last-resort tech
support people, and so some amount of time will go into responding to
customer bug reports. Of course, I do a lot of bug-fix work anyway.
What I foresee is that I'll put higher priority on fixing bugs reported
by paying customers than on fixing those reported via the mailing lists.
But, hey, those people are paying for something; and it's not like I
plan to stop reading the lists.