Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Weird new time zone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Weird new time zone
Date: 2004-07-16 14:44:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
>> At the moment I like Oliver Jowett's idea of defining "best"
>> as "the one that matches furthest back".

> Sounds reasonable to me. As long as a clear warning is put in the log
> whenever something is picked that is not a perfect match,

Define "perfect match". I do not think we can really tell if we have an
exact match or not; the libc timezone API is just too limited to be
sure. And on many platforms we can be sure we will never have an exact
match, especially if we look at years before 1970.

If you want something in the log I'd be inclined to just always make a
log entry when we infer a timezone setting.