Re: GPL License

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GPL License
Date: 2002-07-29 14:38:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>> From: Rod Taylor [mailto:rbt(at)zort(dot)ca]
>> Given the GPL isn't wanted in the contrib directory, it may
>> be wise to take care of src/interfaces/odbc/license.txt

> Take care of it how? It can't be just removed as everything under
> src/interfaces/odbc *is* LGPL.

You're failing to distinguish GPL from LGPL. The consensus as I recall
it was that we wanted to remove GPL-license stuff from our standard
distribution, but LGPL is okay (it's not so fundamentally incompatible
with the project's own BSD license).

I would rather see ODBC under BSD, sure, but I can live with LGPL.