Re: Suppress "cache state reset" message?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeff Boes" <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suppress "cache state reset" message?
Date: 2001-12-26 19:00:46
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jeff Boes" <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com> writes:
> We have a large number of messages in our application log files that look
> like--
> NOTICE: InvalidateSharedInvalid: cache state reset
> While I understand that these are only diagnostic or debug messages from
> the database backend, they are distracting when you are trying to keep
> alert for actual error conditions. Is there any way under Postgres 7.1.3
> to suppress these?

These have been downgraded to DEBUG level in 7.2. You could do the same
in 7.1, or just remove the elog() calls entirely if you really don't
like 'em.

You should, however, consider the fact that lots and lots of cache
flushes are bad for performance. It might be a better idea to try to
determine why you're seeing so many of these, and whether the underlying
cause can be fixed. My first guess is that you are running a lot of
clients that tend to sit around in "idle in transaction" state. That's
bad practice from a number of perspectives.