Re: "failed to commit client_encoding" explained

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "failed to commit client_encoding" explained
Date: 2009-04-02 14:32:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Comments?

> Certainly seems like a reasonable compromise. From what I understand,
> you'll get this "failed to commit..." message *if* you have changedf
> things in pg_conversion. I think that's acceptable - it's not like
> people modify pg_conversion all the time (at least I hope they don't).

Yeah, that's a corner case on a corner case.

A further thought here is that even though the change I propose is
pretty localized, it's still complicated enough to possibly introduce
new bugs. And it's fixing a case that I think doesn't occur in
practice; people don't really make local-in-transaction changes of
client_encoding. (Remember the bug was only discovered by accident.)

So my inclination is to fix it now in HEAD so it can go through a
cycle of beta testing, but leave 8.3 alone. We can back-patch it
after testing if we get any additional complaints.