Re: BUG #7819: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 1235919 in pg_toast_35328

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pius Chan <pchan(at)contigo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Frank Moi <fmoi(at)contigo(dot)com>, Ken Yu <kyu(at)contigo(dot)com>, Vincent Lasmarias <vlasmarias(at)contigo(dot)com>, Vladimir Kosilov <vkosilov(at)contigo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #7819: missing chunk number 0 for toast value 1235919 in pg_toast_35328
Date: 2013-02-01 19:41:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Pius Chan <pchan(at)contigo(dot)com> writes:
> The ERROR happened again. After several days of investigation and testing, I can now reproduce the ERROR in my testing environment. The reason why the ERROR used to happen in a certain time period is that our report batch jobs run in that period and the batch job can make the TOAST area grow. I can repeat the ERROR with this set up and testing procedure.

Thanks. It would've been easier if you'd provided a more concrete test
procedure, but I've been able to reproduce what seems to be the same
failure. I don't know exactly what to do about it yet :-( --- see
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20362.1359747327@sss.pgh.pa.us

At the moment it appears to me that this error could only occur in
CLUSTER or its close cousin VACUUM FULL; ordinary database queries could
not see such a failure. Does that agree with your experience? If so,
this isn't really a data loss bug, so you should be able to just live
with it until we can work out a fix.