Re: XIDs and big boxes again ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XIDs and big boxes again ...
Date: 2008-05-11 17:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> overhead is not an issue here - if i lose 10 or 15% i am totally fine as
> long as i can reduce vacuum overhead to an absolute minimum.

I cannot see the sanity of taking a ~10% hit on all I/O activity
(especially foreground queries) to avoid having background vacuuming
going on --- at least assuming that we can keep the impact of vacuuming
below 10%, which I should hope that we could. What your problem sounds
like to me is that you need a smarter autovacuum scheduler. Some of the
map-fork ideas we've discussed would also help, by allowing vacuum to
skip pages that're known to contain only frozen tuples --- your large
low-turnover tables would probably have a lot of those.