Re: Unable to identify an ordering operator '<' for type 'smallint[]'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mauricio Fernandez A(dot)" <mfacontacto(at)ono(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to identify an ordering operator '<' for type 'smallint[]'
Date: 2006-01-11 18:24:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Mauricio Fernandez A." <mfacontacto(at)ono(dot)com> writes:
> The only strange thing in the query is that ac.potencialpacientes is
> smallint[] (in fact is the only thing with sense I can see in the error
> message) but I am not using the '<' operator as it suggest.

No, but you're trying to GROUP BY ac.potencialpacientes, and in 7.3 the
only way to do grouping is sort/unique. So you have to be able to sort
the datatype, and 7.3 doesn't have code to do comparison of arrays.

> Can somebody help me?.

Upgrade. 7.3 is pretty ancient anyway. Quite aside from lack of features,
its performance is poor compared to 8.1.