Re: BUG #6685: Concurrency fault in create table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mthornton(at)optrak(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6685: Concurrency fault in create table
Date: 2012-06-10 21:08:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

mthornton(at)optrak(dot)com writes:
> Bug reference: 6685
> Logged by: Mark Thornton
> Email address: mthornton(at)optrak(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.4
> Operating system: Ubuntu 12.04

> Executing
> create table child_a () inherits (parent)
> create table child_b () inherits (parent)

> concurrently (two separate connections) results in an error "concurrent
> tuple update".

You sure that's a 9.1 server? I can reproduce such an error in older
releases, but not 9.1.

I believe the relevant fix is
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=fbcf4b92aa64d4577bcf25925b055316b978744a
As noted there, the change wasn't back-patched for fear that the
stronger lock on the parent table might be an undesirable behavioral
change for some applications.