Re: libpq parameter parsing problem

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: libpq parameter parsing problem
Date: 2020-01-15 02:40:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 06:52:07PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> I would probably choose to move the example for the options parameters to
> the "Parameter Key Words" options section:

I think that this would be inconsistent with the rest, as that's a URI
and all the other examples are there. I agree with the feeling of
Alvaro upthread that we could do a better effort with the handling of
the examples in this section, but it is quite unclear to me if that
would actually bring more clarity to the whole, and that's not really
the job of this patch.

> Also, regardless of where it is placed having both the username and
> database both be named "postgres" in an example just adds unnecessary
> mental effort to understanding the example. One that none of the existing
> examples do. Name your user "user" and database "mydb" unless, as with the
> desire to include a space, there is a meaningful reason not to.

Good point. Using "mydb" or "user" instead of "postgres" in the new
example would be less confusing. Another question, would be it better
to use "5433" instead of "5432" for the port number. That's a nit,
but as we are on that stuff let's be right..
--
Michael