Re: BUG #15916: Confusing upgrade message

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: thomas(at)thurman(dot)org(dot)uk, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15916: Confusing upgrade message
Date: 2019-07-28 00:47:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:32:04AM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference: 15916
> Logged by: Marnanel Thurman
> Email address: thomas(at)thurman(dot)org(dot)uk
> PostgreSQL version: 11.4
> Operating system: Debian
>
> This happens with version 11.4-1.pgdg90+1 in
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ .
>
> The upgrade process prints this message:
>
> Success. You can now start the database server using:
>
> pg_ctlcluster 11 main start
>
> But the server is restarted automatically, immediately afterwards. So the
> message is confusing, and should be suppressed.

Uh, my guess is that initdb is being run as pg_ctlcluster, but that
there is some wrapper around that that is starting the database after
the initdb. I think you need to report this as a bug to the people who
packaged this since pg_ctlcluster is Debian-specific. Was there any
output after this to indicate the server had been started?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +