Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error The source cluster was not shut down cleanly.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: kalyani kaniganti <kalyanithumati(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15376: Postgres sql 9.4.19 pg_upgrade stops with error The source cluster was not shut down cleanly.
Date: 2018-09-12 02:27:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 06:51:44AM +0530, kalyani kaniganti wrote:
> I have a query,in our case old db is not getting shutdown cleanly .May I
> know why the DB is unable to shutdown cleanly and this happens repeatedly
> .How we can recover the cluster state going to in production state after
> stopping the cluster.

If one of your PostgreSQL instances is not able to stop, its logs would
tell you what it did not have time to finish. You may perhaps blame the
time it takes for the shutdown checkpoint to finish. You should also
try to use the fast mode of "pg_ctl stop", which makes sure that all
sessions connected are forcibly finished cleanly, allowing Postgres to
not need crash recovery the next time it starts.
--
Michael